Sunday, September 30, 2007

Most frightening part of the Eucharist

I know I'm not the first person to say this, but when at a new parish, there is one part of the service that is far scarier than any other -- no, not trying to sing new versions of the Gloria and Sanctus, nor recalling my sins and repenting for them, no the scariest part of the services is definitely the passing of the peace.
I guess I'm rather generic looking, because it seldom seems to occur to anyone that I'm new (although an usher did ask the person in front of me if he was new - he wasn't). So the peace - who do you shake hands with, who don't you, how far to people go, do you cross the aisle, who are these people anyway? And its hard to remember, because after you've been at a parish for a few weeks, it doesn't really matter anymore.
But yes NEW+PEACE=scary.

So please, be aware of visitors (but please, never make the stand up and introduce them.
Peace(out)

No comments: