Friday, January 11, 2008

Hillary... Feminism? Um...no

A few years ago I saw a wonderful bumper sticker: Feminism is the radical notion that women are people.

I truly believe that. Gender shouldn't matter when electing a president. Reality check,voting for Hillary Clinton for president because she is a woman isn't progressive, its REGRESSIVE! It isn't revolutionary, its REACTIONARY!

I'm sad and angered at Gloria Steinem's letter to the New York Times.
She seems to have muddled the issues... I don't want a candidate who is a woman, I want the best candidate and if it happens to be a woman, then great.

If you really think that based upon the issues she is the best candidate out of everyone, then GREAT. But if not, then don't vote for her. I by no means think she is the worst candidate out there, but consider her stances:

HILLARY CLINTON IS:
PRO-WAR (the earliest she would consider pulling out is 2017)
AMBIVALENT at BEST on Gay-marriage
For PRIVATE Health Care and Heath Insurance companies (just with everyone getting it - she is most supported of any candidate by big insurance companies)
AGAINST impeachment (back when it was doable)
And isn't for any sort of repeal at all of the PATRIOT ACT (and many bits of it are ridiculous for a so-called free country)
According to her website she also doesn't acknowledge any Israeli aggression or occupation of the Palestinian settlements.

People my age aren't against Hillary Clinton because we are taken in by young candidates or have something against women - its that we are paying enough attention to realise that voting for Hillary Clinton is anything BUT radical.

Dennis Kucinich may be a straight white male, but voting for him would be the radical thing to do. Realise, neither of these characters are getting my vote, but I'm sick and tired of being told by middle aged moderates that I'm not "radical" or that I'm not being forward thinking because I'm actually paying attention to issues.

2 comments:

Cavan said...

Oh, politics. The sad part about this whole thing, and what really irks me, is candidates are rewarded for lying as opposed to telling the truth. Anyone like Kucinich or Gravel who try and cut through the bullshit are ostracized for bringing in scary new ideas, when they should be celebrated for actually thinking sensibly. Hillary is saying what will get her elected, not what is the right thing to do in the moral or logical sense. I don't trust people who want power for power's sake (ahem, Dubya), and Hillary isn't running for progressive social change, she's running for personal achievement. How can someone represent all the people of a country when they think of themselves (and their money-buddies) first?



...plus Kucinich saw a UFO and believes in aliens, and I support that. ;-)

Anonymous said...

http://eduardojrubio.blogspot.com

Obama or Hillary, i hope that the republicans don't win.

regards from Spain.

One medieval city.. Ávila.. i born in Ávila one medieval city.